IEEE LTSC Monthly Meeting Minutes 12 September 2017

Setting up join.me once you’ve connected to https://join.me/avronbarr

  1. Click on the phone handset icon (top of your screen) to set up audio (dial-in or VOIP).
  2. Click on the “Participant’s” icon to see who’s here. You can change your name here.
  3. Click on the Chat icon to open the Chat window.

A recording of this meeting is available here: https://recordings.join.me/EIM-2_vdJkKBoU9kGSmDiQ

The notes and recording from the 11 July meeting are here. (Note that some the notes from the May and June meetings are in the document archive, but have been deleted from the iMeetCentral “discussions.”)

Participating Today

Voting Members: (See the IEEE LTSC Roster.) Voting members must attend the LTSC meetings regularly and are counted toward quorum. Please add your name (and employer/affiliation):

. Avron Barr (Chair, Individual); Frank Polster (Secretary, Individual); Mitch Bonnett (LTSC, Army),, Hamadou Saliah-Hassane (TELUQ – University of Quebec & IEEE-SA P1876 WG), Robby Robson, (Eduworks), John Costa (Repubit), Tia Benson-Bond, Alan Mustafa (IEEE, AUK), Tyde Richards (Individual), John Rogers (USMA), Stephen Downes (NRC), Jason Haag (ADL), Marsali Hancock (DQ Institute, Chief Digital Officer), Jim Schoening (US Army), Andy Johnson (Individual),

Observers:

. Milton Reder (Yet Analytics), Shelly Blake-Plock (Yet Analytics), Tim Martin (Rustici Software) Wayne Gafford (US Navy), Mike Rustici (Watershed LRS), Milt Reder (Yet Analytics)

Regrets:

. Edilson Arenas, (CQU Australia). Ian Gibson (RepubIT)

Proposed Agenda

  1. Roll call, establish quorum (Frank Polster, Secretary)
    1. The current membership roster.
    2. Regular attendance is required to be a voting member.
    3. We have a quorum on 12 September 2017.
  2. Review and approval of today’s agenda. Please feel free to add notes during the meeting.
  3. Review and approval of our last meeting’s minutes. The notes and recording from the July meeting are here.
  4. Call for related patents. Please familiarize yourself with these antitrust and IP guidelines for IEEE meetings.

 

LTSC Administrative Issues

  1. Report on LTSC face-to-face meeting, Alexandria, VA, Monday, July 31st.
  2. Possible updates to the LTSC Policies and Procedures
    1. On the subject of LTSC membership fees, we are exploring what makes sense. What does the LTSC need money for:
      1. Advances for meeting facilities
      2. Standards editor
    2. Meeting fees should count toward membership fees. In the past, when there were more face-to-face meetings, we only had meeting fees.
    3. Quorum for voting will still have to involve regular attendance, otherwise we might have trouble getting half the paying members to come to every meeting. But voting for officers, for instance, should be based on the entire paid membership
    4. Entity membership (e.g. for the proposed eReader PAR), may also require changes to the P&Ps
    5. We need a volunteer or subcommittee to review the P&P’s and make specific recommendations.
    6. Frank and Avron will address.
  1. Website update and consolidation.
    1. Status of Frank’s new LTSC website.
      1. Most documents and functionality will move to one single website – https://sagroups.ieee.org/ltsc/home/ The Login functionality is not operational at this time.We invite all to take a look especially work group leads. Comments, edits and additions are welcome please email Frank at polsterf@gmail.com with your input. You may want to take a look at the two Blog posts “ Annual LTSC Membership Fees” Our September monthly LTSC conference call has an item on the agenda concerning LTSC annual membership fees.  Welcome to the New LTSC Website  is the second blog post about our face to face meeting in Alexandria. Our new IEEE LTSC WordPress site in an attempt to consolidate our different web presents and a focus on making the new site more of a communication vehicle for all LTSC Voting/Observers members by utilizing the blogging capability of WordPress.
      2. The new website looks great!
    2. Current LTSC email reflectors
      1. LTSC – public announcements
      2. LTSC-SEC – Sponsor Executive Committee: Officers, WG chairs, and any members who want to be involved in administering the LTSC.

Working Group Reports

  1. Child and Student Data Governance (CSDG WG). Marsali Hancock.
    1. Goal: produce standards for vendors and educational institutions that will assure stakeholders about specific constraints on the collection, storage, distribution, and use of student data
    2. Discussions about how different constituencies look at the data.
    3. Monthly meetings on the last Wednesday. Contact Marsali.
  1. Augmented Reality Learning Experience Model (ARLEM). Fridolin Wild & Christine Perey.
    1. Time is running out on the P1589 ballot. Avron will follow up with Fridolin and Christine.
  1. Actionable Data Book (ADB, an IEEE Industry Connections activity). John Costa.
    1. EDULEARN2016 conference paper on learning architecture
    2. Frankfurt Book Fair in October.
      1. Focus on outreach to xAPI, eLearning, corp training, performance support, knowledge management, and media development software companies
      2. Possible marketing blitz sponsored by IEEE Industry Connections. (Pre/Post conference)
      3. PEBL status. MOU status?
    3. Prototype Development / IEEE Sandbox / Remote Lab – P1876
    4. New ICAID for a continuation through 2018?
      1. Monday ICCom meeting results
      2. Possibly starting a new IC activity with a broader learning technology, systems integration, learning engineering approach.
    5. Meetings: First Thursday 4pm Eastern. 3rd Friday at 9:00am Eastern. Subgroups meet every other week. Prototype subgroup meets weekly.
    6. Use Case document drafted – ADB relations to LOM, 1484, 7004, 7006, GIFT, (See item 14 below)
  1. Study group on draft eReader PAR – Robby Robson
    1. Robby will post to W3C Business Publishing group
  1. Task-Model for Project-based Learning (TMPL WG) and Free Learning for Humanity TAG (FLH TAG). Jim Schoening.
    1. Task’ app is up and working at https://ieee-collabratec.ieee.org/app/opportunities but still in early release mode (only IEEE members can post tasks).  The marketing thrust is awaiting the following:
    2. Will be expanded with a second opportunity called ‘Team Project’ which also fits within the scope of TMPL. It defines the key roles (e.g. Leader, SME, contributor, secretariat, reporter) in an ad hoc team, so people can learn and be certified in given roles, making it easier to find ad hoc team members who understand their roles and commit to them.  This is being piloted by Ms. Sarah Patrick for her senior capstone project at the Science and Math Academy, Aberdeen, MD.
    3. FLH Pilot has 3 participants (paid at this early stage) who are doing well. One is also authoring a Self-Directed Learning User Manual. The FLH paper was accepted and Jim will present it at the Global Humanitarian Technology Conference in Oct in San Jose, CA. The Task Registry/FLH NIC seed grant is helping to kick-start the ADB Sandbox. FLH has draft proposal to become an initiative in Global Humanitarian Technology (SIGHT) and needs IEEE volunteers to help, plus 3 more IEEE members to add their names to proposal form. This proposal, if funded, will scale the current FLH Pilot.   Another proposal is being drafted to submit to IEEE Humanitarian Activities Committee.  Jim Schoening has joined American Society for Quality (ASQ) where he hopes to start a working group to address quality assurance for the individual self-directed lifelong learner.

Possible Future Projects

  1. The xAPI community has approached the LTSC about possibly initiating some work in this area.
    1. We’ve started a Technical Advisory Group (TAG) focused on xAPI. It is being chaired by Shelly Blake-Plock.
      1. It will like produce an LTSC tech report about xAPI 1.0.3, the current version.
      2. It’s charter may be broader, e.g. to include xAPI profiles. Shelly will discuss the scope with the TAG group and report back next month.
      3. The ADL will participate in the TAG. Hopefully the current xAPI community will also get involved in this work. For the time being, the xAPI community consists largely of learning analytics vendors and customers and systems integrators linking training with job performance and other enterprise systems.
      4. Current spec is here: https://github.com/adlnet/xAPI-Spec
    2. Continuing work on xAPI.
      1. The community is not of one mind about how to proceed.
      2. The ADL recently launched a future requirements & priorities for xAPI survey here, https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd-L0t6L722NraKR88uPVKdEoER6ORKlAmCCMx9-kgR0rQ_9g/viewform
      3. We discussed forming an LTSC Study Group (6 month tenure) to look into future xAPI-ish standards.
        1. Extending xAPI vs. starting with a fresh assessment of the problem and possible approaches. In particular, the role of AIs in generating and interpreting formative data.
      4. We decided to start the TAG and let that group decide if there is good reason and adequate energy to start a standards activity.
    3. The xAPI community
      1. The ADL intends to be the focus of the xAPI community for the time being
      2. In the future, xAPI could be a central focus of a new Industry Connections activity, mentioned in the ADBook discussion above.
      3. Other industry consortia, existing and emerging, should be considered as potential homes for the xAPI community. DISC, however, is going to close.
    4. If we go forward with an xAPI activity at the LTSC, we might make an announcement at DevLearn (October 25-27).

 

  1. Other related (and possible future) standards projects discussed at the LTSC meeting in Alexandria on July 31st.
    1. Competencies: frameworks, student model, evidence (update to IEEE Reusable Competency Definitions, 1484.20?)
    2. Activity metadata for AI agents (update to LOM, IEEE 1484.12?)
    3. Context/situation of learner: devices available, schedule, ….
    4. eReader for an Actionable Data Book
    5. Guidance for student data governance (IEEE 7004)
    6. xAPI/LRS, IMS Caliper, or something else about learning activity data collection, storage, management, and analysis.
    7. Update to Learning Technology Systems Architecture (IEEE 1484.1)
    8. Networked Smart Learning Objects for Online Laboratories (IEEE P1876)
    9. GIFT-based ITS standards, including ITS-as-a-service
    10. Personal Data AI Agent (IEEE P7006)

 

The LTSC meets on the second Tuesday of the month to discuss progress and problems across all the projects. Our next meeting will be on Tuesday, October 10th, at 9:00am EDT.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *