This page lists some reading materials that are relevant to the standards development of this working group.
Core Concepts and Use Cases
The core concepts and use cases of decentralized identifiers (DIDs) and verifiable credentials (VCs) are described in the following documents by the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C).
- Decentralized Identifiers (DIDs) v1.0: Core architecture, data model, and representations
- Use Cases and Requirements for Decentralized Identifiers
- Verifiable Credential Data Model 1.0: Expressing verifiable information on the Web
- Verifiable Credentials Use Cases
Industry White Papers for Decentralized Identity and IoT
The following industry white papers regarding self-sovereign identity and its applications for IoT has been recently published:
- Self-Sovereign Identity and IoT, Sovrin Foundation SSI in IoT Task Force, August 2020.
- Decentralized Identity for Edge Computing, An Industrial Internet Consortium Tech Brief, September 2020.
- Decentralized ID and Access Management (DIAM) for IoT Networks, Linux Foundation Edge and Hyperledger, February, 2021.
Academic Research for Decentralized Identity and IoT
A number of research papers about decentralized identity for IoT applications have been published during the past few years:
- X. Fan, Q. Chai, L. Xu, and D. Guo, DIAM-IoT: A Decentralized Identity and Access Management Framework for Internet of Things, The 2nd ACM International Symposium on Blockchain and Secure Critical Infrastructure (BSCI 2020), ACM Press, 2020, doi:10.1145/3384943.3409436.
- S.K. Gebresilassie, J. Rafferty, P. Morrow, L. Chen, M. Abu-Tair, and Z. Cui, Distributed, Secure, Self-Sovereign Identity for IoT Devices, IEEE 6th World Forum on Internet of Things (WF-IoT 2020), IEEE Communication Society, 2020, doi:10.1109/WF-IoT48130.2020.9221144.
- X. Fan, Q. Chai, Z. Li, and T. Pan, Decentralized IoT Data Authorization with Pebble Tracker, IEEE 6th World Forum on Internet of Things (WF-IoT 2020), IEEE Communication Society, 2020, doi:10.1109/WF-IoT48130.2020.9221130.
- M. Luecking, C. Fries, R. Lamberti, and W. Stork, Decentralized Identity and Trust Management Framework for Internet of Things, 2020 IEEE International Conference on Blockchain and Cryptocurrency (ICBC 2020), IEEE Communication Society, 2020, doi:10.1109/ICBC48266.2020.9169411.
- A. Dixit, W. Asif and M. Rajarajan, Smart-Contract Enabled Decentralized Identity Management Framework for Industry 4.0, The 46th Annual Conference of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society (IECON 2020), IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, 2020, doi:10.1109/IECON43393.2020.9254545.
- G. Fedrecheski, J.M. Rabaey, C.P. Costa, P.C. Calcina Ccori, W.T. Pereira, and M.K. Zuffo, Self-Sovereign Identity for IoT environment: A Perspective, 2020 Global Internet of Things Summit (GIoTS 2020), IEEE Communication Society, 2020, doi:10.1109/GIOTS49054.2020.9119664.
- A. Theodouli, K. Moschou, K. Votis, D. Tzovaras, J. Lauinger, and S. Steinhorst, Towards a Blockchain-based Identity and Trust Management Framework for the IoV Ecosystem, 2020 Global Internet of Things Summit (GIoTS 2020), IEEE Communication Society, 2020, doi:10.1109/GIOTS49054.2020.9119623.
- M. Kuperberg, Blockchain-Based Identity Management: A Survey From the Enterprise and Ecosystem Perspective, IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, Volume: 67, Issue: 4, pp. 1008-1027, November 2020, doi:10.1109/TEM.2019.2926471.
- A.S. Omar, Decentralized Identity and Access Management Framework for Internet of Things Devices, PhD Thesis, University of Waterloo, June 2020.
- N. Fotiou, I. Pittaras, V.A. Siris, and G.C. Polyzos, Enabling Opportunistic Users in Multi-Tenant IoT Systems using Decentralized Identifiers and Permissioned Blockchains, The 2nd International ACM Workshop on Security and Privacy for the Internet-of-Things (IoT S&P’19), ACM Press, 2019, doi:10.1145/3338507.3358622.
- N.V. Kulabukhova, A. Ivashchenko, I. Tipikin, and I. Minin, Self-Sovereign Identity for IoT Devices, International Conference on Computational Science and Its Applications (ICCSA 2019), Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Volume 11620, Springer, Cham, 2019, doi:10.1007/978-3-030-24296-1_37.
- D. Lagutin, Y. Kortesniemi, N. Fotiou, and V.A. Siris, Enabling Decentralised Identifiers and Verifiable Credentials for Constrained IoT Devices using OAuth-based Delegation, Workshop on Decentralized IoT Systems and Security (DISS 2019), 2019, Manuscript available here.