ICICLE January 2022 Community Call with Dr. Bonnie Boardman, Industrial Engineer
The ICICLE monthly community call is January 19th at 12pm ET. We’re excited to have Dr. Bonnie Boardman, Professor of Instruction and the Undergraduate Program Director for the Industrial, Manufacturing, and Systems Engineering (IMSE) Department, University of Texas at Arlington (UTA). Industrial engineers enable organizations to achieve their goals efficiently and effectively by balancing cost, personnel, technology, system constraints, safety, and the environment.
What does industrial engineering and learning engineering have in common? Join the call and find out! Bonnie will be sharing examples, models and approaches to industrial engineering as well as her work on curriculum design and assessments at UTA. She was the recipient of the 2020 UTA Outstanding Assessment Practitioner for her work in developing assessment processes.
Learning Engineering Background Resources
Considering the need and approach for learning engineering:
- Why We Need Learning Engineers, Bror Saxberg, 2015
- The Need For Learning Engineers (and Learning Engineering), Michael Feldstein, 2013 and in 2020, Learning Engineering Is Learning About Learning. We Need That Now More Than Ever
- Learning Engineering: Leveraging Science and Technology for Effective Instruction, Norman Bier, 2015 (page 30)
Special and Market Interest Group Work
The Special and Market Interest Groups develop resources and document experiences for the learning engineering community. All are open to join any group! The SIGs welcome your feedback and input into draft documents that they are currently working on design for and across implementation levels and populations, an instrumentation primer, and data science tasks for learning engineers.
- Higher Education: Higher Education MIG (market interest group) next meeting is Tuesday, February 1st 2022 at 12pm ET to explore themes of learning engineering in a higher education context. Contact the SIG chair for the Zoom link or be to be added to the calendar invite.
- Competencies: The Competencies, Curriculum, and Credentials SIG will be developing competencies on learning design and recently defined data science tasks for learning engineers. Competency enthusiasts join the next meeting on Friday, February 11th 2022 at 3pm ET. Meeting link is in SIG notes.
- Design: What process do you use to design learning? Talk about designing and implementing across levels and populations in the Design for Learning SIG on Thursday, January 25th 2022 at 2pm ET. Meeting link is in the Agenda and Meeting Notes.
- Instrumentation: What learning data do you gather and analyze?The Tools SIG is documenting use cases and data descriptions for learning experiences. Share ideas about learning data on Thursday, January 27th 2022 at 2pm ET. Meeting link is in the Agenda and Meeting Notes.
- Corporate: Corporate MIG (market interest group) meets with L&D community regularly. Please contact SIG Chair for more information.
Please join the community call on January 19th at 12pm ET to meet Dr. Bonnie Boardman, an industrial engineer, from the Industrial, Manufacturing, and Systems Engineering (IMSE) Department, University of Texas at Arlington. Learn about the industrial engineering process and how it aligns with learning engineering.
We welcome your participation and want to hear from you the work that you are doing. We look forward to seeing you at the community call on January 19th!