What is ICICLE?
IEEE ICICLE is a volunteer professional organization committed to the development of Learning Engineering as a profession and as an academic discipline. ICICLE is part of the IEEE Standards Association’s (IEEE-SA) Learning Technology Standards Committee. ICICLE stands for IC International Consortium on Learning Engineering.
Monthly meetings are the third Wednesday of the month at 12pm ET. Our next meeting is December 20th, 2023 at 12pm ET. Details to join the community call are here. Check out the November 2023 Newsletter. Previous newsletters are here.
Monthly Special Interest Group (SIG)/Market Interest Group (MIG) meetings are as follows. The link for each SIG/MIG has meeting info/link, notes, and agendas.
- Corporate MIG meets on the last Friday of the month at 11am ET. The next meeting is scheduled for Friday, November 17th at 11am ET.
- Design SIG meets on last Tuesday of the month at 2pm ET. The next meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, November 28th at 2pm ET.
- Tools SIG meets on the last Thursday of the month at 2pm ET. The next meeting is scheduled for November 30th at 2pm ET.
- Competencies, Credentials and Curriculum SIG meets on the last Friday of the month at 3pm ET. No SIG meeting in November. Sub-group meetings are scheduled for two competency categories: Learning Sciences on November 9th at 3pm ET and Introduction to Learning Engineering on November 14th at 11am ET. See page 2 on Agenda and Notes for details.
- Higher Ed MIG meets the first Tuesday of the month at 12pm ET. The next meeting is December 5th at 12pm ET.
- pK-12 MIG meets on the 2nd Wednesday of the month at 12pm ET. The next meeting is Wednesday, December 13th at 12pm ET.
- Students and Grads SIG meets on the 2nd Wednesday of the month at 4pm ET. Discussions in December 2023 are asynchronous. The next meeting will be in January 2024.
What is Learning Engineering?
Learning Engineering is a process and practice that applies the learning sciences using human-centered engineering design methodologies and data-informed decision making to support learners and their development.
What does ICICLE do?
Since its inception in 2017 ICICLE has evolved into a suite of opportunities for Learning Engineers to explore the range of technical, scientific, and policy matters around learning engineering as a process, practice and profession.
ICICLE holds monthly meetings (third Wednesday each month at 12:00 ET) where we engage with guest speakers who share their work in or related to learning engineering. Special Interest Groups on Design, Competencies and Curriculum, Tools, Higher Education, pK12, Graduate Students and Recent Graduates, and Corporate meet monthly to exchange ideas to apply and implement learning engineering and develop tools. ICICLE regularly participates on learning conferences across academia, government, industry and non-profit to talk about how learning engineering process improves and enhances learning experiences.
We invite the community to learning engineering conferences. The first learning engineering conference was in 2019 with participants across sectors to discuss the trends across the field. We’ve had conferences in 2022 and 2023 (still in process of organizing resources). The 2024 ICICLE Learning Conference will be held at Arizona State University in July 2024.
Sign up for the IEEE ICICLE mailing list to keep up with everything related to the Consortium, the International Conference on Learning Engineering, and the work being done in the ICICLE SIGs. Together, let’s define and support the profession of Learning Engineering. If you have any questions, send us an email at [email protected].