ICICLE March 2022 Community Call with Kevin Gluck, Chief Scientist, Resilient Cognitive Solutions
The ICICLE monthly community call is March 16th at 12pm ET. We’re excited to have Kevin Gluck, a cognitive scientist whose career has repeatedly intersected with learning sciences and technologies. He is the Chief Scientist at Resilient Cognitive Solutions, exploring connections and opportunities between cognitive systems engineering and related fields including learning engineering. He has had years of experience doing academic research on computational cognitive modeling and intelligent tutoring systems, and at the Air Force Research Laboratory he lead a team dedicated to predictive mathematical modeling of human memory dynamics for individualized training applications and was the core research area lead on personalized learning and readiness sciences.
Recent discussions and posts about what learning engineering is and what learning engineers do
Do you ever get asked by others “how is learning engineering different from what we already do'”? In What Parts of Learning Engineering Can Help You Level Up?Jim Goodell writes that instead of asking how it is different, it may be more valuable to ask “is there any part learning engineering that we could adopt to move our current practice to the next level?”
The Learning Agency has a video series, Introduction to Learning Engineering, about applying a learning engineering perspective. Videos include the Practice of Learning Engineering, the Challenges of Learning Engineering, an Overview of Learning Engineering, and three case studies.
MIT Integrated Learning Initiative has a Q&A with Lauren Totino, a Learning Engineer in MIT Open Learning, about ‘what exactly is a learning engineer? and ‘how does data analysis drive MIT’s education effectiveness?’
Special and Market Interest Group Work
The Special and Market Interest Groups develop resources and document experiences for the learning engineering community. All are open to join any group!
- Design: What process do you use to design learning? Talk about designing and implementing across levels and populations in the Design for Learning SIG on Tuesday, March 29th 2022 at 2pm ET. Meeting link is in the Agenda and Meeting Notes.
- Instrumentation: What learning data do you gather and analyze? The Tools SIG is documenting use cases and data descriptions for learning experiences. Share ideas about learning data on Thursday, March 31st 2022 at 2pm ET. Meeting link is in the Agenda and Meeting Notes.
- Corporate: Corporate MIG (market interest group) meets with L&D community regularly. The SIG will meet on Friday, March 25th at 11am ET. Please contact SIG Chair for more information.
- Higher Education: Higher Education MIG (market interest group) next meeting is Tuesday, April 5th 2022 at 12pm ET to explore themes of learning engineering in a higher education context. Contact the SIG chair for the Zoom link.
- Competencies: The Competencies, Curriculum, and Credentials SIG will be developing competencies on learning design and recently defined data science tasks for learning engineers. Competency enthusiasts join the next meeting on Friday, April 8th 2022 at 3pm ET. Meeting link is in SIG notes.
Please join the community call on March 16th at 12pm ET to meet Kevin Gluck, Chief Scientist at Resilient Cognitive Solutions to explore connections between cognitive systems engineering and learning engineering.
We welcome your participation and want to hear from you the work that you are doing. We look forward to seeing you at the community call on March 16th!