September 2022 Newsletter
ICICLE September 21st 2022 Community Call with André Coy, Faculty of Science and Technology, University of West Indies
The ICICLE monthly community call is September 21st at 12pm ET. We’re thrilled that André Coy, Associate Dean and Associate Physics Professor from the Faculty of Science and Technology, University of the West Indies will be joining the call. His interests include speech and language technologies and their application to education, computer assisted language learning and assistive technologies. André’s current work includes the development of a culturally responsive, intelligent, automated literacy tutor for use in primary schools. He’ll be sharing his experiences with us on applying learning engineering to this work.
We’ll be meeting via Webex (See details below with meeting code and password). The call is scheduled for one hour’s length. Full agenda will be posted here.
Talking about Learning Engineering
The next round of the Learning Engineering Tools Competition will launched on September 22th at 12:30 ET. The competition is expected to award more than $3M this year to edtech solutions for challenges in learning.
Watch Leveraging Learning Engineering to Orchestrate and Enhance Learning presented by Danielle S. McNamara as part of ASU’s Augmented Intelligence Workshop series.
In the AECT Learner Engagement Division podcast, Learning Engagement Activated, Anne Fensie speaks with Jim Goodell about how learning engineering is applied in designing learning opportunities to help increase learner engagement.
At Advanced Distributed Learning Initiative iFEST 2022 conference, the “Learning Engineering at a Glance” poster won the “People’s Choice Award for Best Poster Design.” It is based on chapters from the Learning Engineering Toolkit.
Special and Market Interest Group Work
We have a new group Special Interest Group, Students and Grads, starting in October! The first meeting is October 12th. It is a forum for mutual mentorship and career development for learning engineering and applied learning sciences students, prospective students, and recent graduates.
Also on October 12th, the K-12 Market Interest Group will be relaunching. These Special and Market Interest Groups develop resources and document experiences for the learning engineering community. Please check website home page for updates to meeting days and times. Everyone is welcome at all the groups.
- Design: The Design for Learning SIG is looking at building exemplars and design strategies, documenting processes and designing and implementing across levels and populations, Join the discussion on Thursday, September 27th 2022 at 2pm ET. Meeting link is in the Agenda and Meeting Notes.
- Instrumentation: The Tools SIG is documenting use cases and data descriptions for learning experiences. Share ideas about learning data on Thursday, September 29th 2022 at 2pm ET. Meeting link is in the Agenda and Meeting Notes.
- Corporate: Corporate MIG (market interest group) works with L&D community on how to adapt the learning engineering process. The SIG will meet on Friday, September 30th at 11am ET. Contact SIG Chair for more information.
- Higher Education: Higher Education MIG (market interest group) next meeting is Tuesday, October 4th 2022 at 12pm ET to explore themes of learning engineering in a higher education context. Contact the SIG chair for meeting link.
- Students and Grads: The first meeting for the Students and Grads of Learning Engineering SIG will be Wednesday, October 12th. Contact SIG co-chair for more information.
- K-12: The K-12 Market Interest Group will be meeting on Wednesday, October 12th at 12pm ET.
- Competencies: The Competencies, Curriculum, and Credentials SIG is planning to develop competencies on learning design and worked on data science tasks for learning engineers. No meeting in October.
We look forward to seeing you at the community call on September 21st with André Coy from the University of the West Indies to explore his work around learning engineering and at monthly SIG and MIG meetings.