ICICLE May 17th 2023 Community Call with Megan Torrance, CEO, Torrance Learning and author, Data and Analytics for Instructional Designers
The ICICLE monthly community call is May 17th at 12pm ET. We are excited to have Megan Torrance, Chief Energy Officer, Torrance Learning, a full-stack learning strategy, design & development, software & platforms, and professional development firm.
Megan is passionate about learning and development (L&D) and supporting Agile project management, xAPI adoption, evaluation strategies, and L&D’s role in cultivating racial equity in the workplace. She recently published Data & Analytics for Instructional Designers. Megan and Torrance Learning have been part of and supported ICICLE since 2017. Megan will share all things xAPI, data, analytics, and learning in the call.
Megan is working with Jason Haag and Jane Bozwarth (also long-term ICICLE supporters) to prepare a learning analytics research and report for the Learning Guild (longstanding ICICLE member organization). Please take this survey on the usage, tools, techniques, team members, and future of learning analytics. As data is an integral component of learning engineering, we know that you have thoughts on learning analytics! Thanks in advance for your support.
We’ll be meeting via Webex for the community call. (See details below with meeting code and password.) It is scheduled for one hour’s length. Full agenda will be posted here.
2023 ICICLE Learning Engineering Conference
Join other learning engineering enthusiasts 24th-26th July 2023 for the in-person 2023 ICICLE Conference on Learning Engineering: Grounding Theory in Practice at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA to share your learning engineering experiences and stories. Early Registration for the 2023 ICICLE Conference on Learning Engineering: Grounding Theory in Practice ends in two weeks on May 31st. For IEEE members registration is $250, non IEEE members $295 and students $205. The number of participants at the conference is limited, and we expect that the conference will sell out!
ICICLE is sponsoring a contest to win a free registration to the 2023 ICICLE Learning Engineering Conference! We want to know, “What Does Learning Engineering Mean to You?” Record a video, create a graphic, do anything creative and fun that describes you and learning engineering. Keep it simple, short, engaging, and topical. Nothing fancy.
Use the hashtag #ICICLE and #learningengineering so we see your entry. You’re encouraged to cross-post submissions on all of your social media accounts, but we’ll be monitoring Twitter (also post with @ieeeicicle) and LinkedIn (put on Learning Engineering group if you’d like). Post your video before midnight ET on May 23, 2023. The contest winner will receive free registration!
Talking about Learning Engineering
ICICLE members shared thoughts and ideas on learning engineering with Maryland Online and Silver Lining for Learning. Karen Rege and Jodi Lis spoke with Maryland Online, a consortium of Maryland higher education institutions to advance excellence in online education, on Bringing Learning Engineering to Online Learning. Sae Schatz, Janet Koloder and Jim Goodell talked about Applying Human-Centered Learning Engineering Methods to Learning with Silver Lining for Learning which has conversations on the future of learning.
Special and Market Interest Group Work
The Special and Market Interest Groups develop resources and document experiences for the learning engineering community. Everyone is welcome to join one, two or all the SIGs and MIGs.
Please check website home page for updates to meeting days and times.
- Corporate: Corporate/Workforce MIG (market interest group) is meeting on Friday, May 26th at 11am ET and discussing Gen AI. Contact co-chair for more info.
- Design: The Design for Learning SIG is meeting on Tuesday, May 23rd at 2pm ET. Meeting link is in the Agenda and Notes.
- Tools/Instrumentation: The Tools SIG will be meeting on Thursday, May 25th at 2pm ET to discuss instrumentation and learning data. Meeting link is in the Agenda and Notes.
- Competencies: The Competencies, Curriculum, and Credentials SIG is starting up meetings in March. The SIG will meet on Friday, May 26th at 3pm ET. Information will also be in the Agenda and Notes. If you haven’t yet subscribed to the CCC SIG mailing list, please subscribe:
- Send an email to ListServ@ieee.org, containing the following text in the body of the message: subscribe ICICLE-CCC YourFirstName YourLastName (Use First Name followed by your Last Name sent from the e-mail address that you want to subscribe. The e-mail subscribe instruction does not support an e-mail address field, if you try to use an e-mail address in the Name fields it will be rejected.)
- Higher Education: The next meeting for the Higher Education MIG (market interest group) is Tuesday, June 6th at 12pm ET, exploring learning engineering in a higher education context. Meeting link is in Agenda and Notes.
- K-12 MIG: The next meeting for the K-12 MIG (market-interest group) will be Wednesday, June 14th at 12pm ET. Meeting link is in the Agenda and Notes.
- Students and Grads: The Students and Grads of Learning Engineering SIG will be meeting on Wednesday, June 14th at 4pm ET. Meeting link is in Agenda and Notes.
Let’s keep talking about learning engineering. Post in our Linkedin group or send an email with your update to put in this newsletter. We want to share your insights and work!
Get ready for 2023 ICICLE Conference on Learning Engineering: Grounding Theory in Practice! Early registration ends May 31st.
We look forward to seeing you at the community call on May 17th with Megan Torrance, CEO, Torrance Learning and chat about xAPI, data, analytics and learning. Thanks in advance for your assistance in completing the survey on learning analytics!