ICICLE January 17th 2023 Community Call: Kayla Morehead, Senior Research Analyst, Denver, Colorado, USA Public Schools
The ICICLE monthly community call is January 17th at 12pm ET. The guest speaker this month is Kayla Morehead, Senior Research Analyst, Denver, Colorado, USA Public Schools. Kayla earned her PhD in psychology from Kent State University. Her research focused on metacognition and self-regulated learning. She worked for as an assessment coordinator at an elementary charter school network and currently works at Denver, Colorado USA Public Schools as a senior research analyst. She conducts research and provides analyses on a number of projects related to district priorities, and also serves on the district’s research review board reviewing research proposals from external researchers and fixing the proposal submission portal that refuses to stay fixed.
Kayla will be sharing her experience about “Conducting Ethical Research with pK-12 Students” while serving on the research review board at her school district and the challenges and opportunities she faces working with external researchers. She’ll open the discussion about how we work with protected populations.
Call for Proposals for the ICICLE 2024 Learning Engineering Conference, July 22-24, 2024 is open
Call for proposals is open! The conference will be organized around six types of sessions and keynotes. We will have breakout rooms this year and encourage everyone to submit a session proposal. We want to learn about the learning engineering initiatives that you have been working on.
- Active Learning Session — (60 minutes) Lead an activity-based learning session with a defined objective, strategy, and product/performance.
- Exploration Stations – (30 minutes–breakout sessions only) Facilitate a discussion around your passion with a whole breakout room or in small groups at tables. The key is to provide participants an opportunity to spend time talking to each other.
- Lightning Talks — (5 minutes) Deliver a very short presentation (no more than 5 slides) on one or two key points
- Show and Share – (15 minutes with 5 minutes Q&A) Present on your case study, research, project, process, failures, or lessons learned using learning engineering.
- Showcase Your Work (aka Poster) session — Spotlight your work in a poster session format, with or without a poster. You can stand by your poster, facilitate a tech demo, or present another type of visual. Great for more intimate conversations about your work.
- Structured Panel — (60 minutes) Moderate a panel of 2-5 experts to discuss a topic related to learning engineering. Plan for audience interaction with Q&A.
Detailed descriptions about the session types is on the ICICLE website. Submit your ideas and concepts for a session on this form. We can’t wait to hear what you would like to share with the community.
- Deadline for Proposal submission: February 29, 2024 11:59pm EST
- Notification of Acceptance: April 15, 2024
- Conference workbook materials submitted: May 31, 2024
- Presentation materials submitted: July 1, 2024
Information about registration, contributions and logistics coming soon. All are welcome in planning the conference. Please reach out to the conference manager if you are interested.
Special and Market Interest Group Work
The Special and Market Interest Groups develop resources and document experiences for the learning engineering community. Everyone is welcome to join one, two or all the SIGs and MIGs.
Please check website home page for updates to meeting days and times.
- Competencies SIG: The Competencies, Curriculum, and Credentials SIG began discussions around to develop two competency sub-categories and a LE Primer. The SIG will meet on January 25th at 3pm ET. Information is in the Agenda and Notes.
- Design SIG: The Design for Learning SIG will meet on Tuesday, January 29th at 2pm ET to discuss resources, contributions and content from a design perspective to the LE primer. Meeting link is in the Agenda and Notes.
- NEW: Government / Military MIG had its first meeting on January 9th. Please check the website for updates.
- Tools/Instrumentation SIG: The Tools SIG will meet on Thursday, January 31th at 2pm ET to discussing tools used in learning engineering. Meeting link is in the Agenda and Notes.
- Higher Education MIG: The next meeting for the Higher Education MIG is in Tuesday,February 13th at 12pm ET.
- K-12 MIG: The next meeting for the K-12 MIG (market-interest group) will be Wednesday, February 14th at 12pm ET. Meeting link is in the Agenda and Notes.
- Students and Grads SIG: The Students and Grads SIG will meet on Wednesday, February 14th at 4pm ET. Meeting link is in Agenda and Notes.
We look forward to seeing you at our January 17th community call with Kayla Morehead, Senior Research Analyst with Denver, Colorado, USA Public Schools. We always want to hear what you are doing in learning engineering. Post in our Linkedin group or send an email. The next community call is February 21, 2024.